Why the Democratic Republic of Congo?
DRC Fast Facts:
Population: 75 million
Size: 905,000 miles2
Government: presidential democratic republic
Official Language: French
Monetary System: Congolese francs
Religion: Christian, predominately Catholic
Literacy Rate: 66%
Infant Mortality Rate: 1 in 7
The DRC Needs You
DR Congo, formerly known as Zaire, is one of the richest countries in Africa with precious mineral deposits like gold, diamonds, cobalt, and copper. But due to its violent and corrupt history, the DRC is also one of the world’s least developed countries.
The reasons Julie’s family left the DRC and came to the US are the same reasons that Congolese children continue to need help.
The wars devastated the political and financial system of the country—from which they are just now beginning to recover. It wreaked havoc on the country’s infrastructure and set up a society of violence. The war created over 4 million orphans, left thousands of homeless families scattered across the nation, and continues to kill 1,000 people every day through preventable diseases like malaria, diarrhea, and malnutrition.
The Worst Place for Woman and Children]
The DRC is listed as one of the worst places to be a woman or child.
· Every day over 1,000 women and girls are raped.
· One in every four pregnant women will die of complications before or during labor.
· One in every seven children will die before they reach 5 years of age.
· Girls are often “sold” into marriage before their 13th birthday.
· 92% of the population believes that violence is a viable form of discipline.
· 15% of children are required to work for their family’s survival.
· ¼ of all children are malnourished
· 400 children die every die from diseases like malaria and diarrhea.
Nevertheless, the DRC is inhabited by some of the most resilient and inspirational people in the world! The strength of these people inspires Redeeming Love Ministries to sacrificially plant God’s Word and compassion in their hearts and watch them bloom in spirit, soul, and body.